I think a list of personal challenges for the Southern Summer of Socks is a great idea - I'm the sort of person who responds well to milestone setting, especially when I take a public oath and know (well, at least think) that everyone will be laughing at me if I don't make a worthwhile attempt.
So here's my list of Personal Challenges:
1. Finish a pair (matching) of socks. Seemingly insignificant, but since Ive never knit even one, this tops the list. The other challenges will also have more context if you keep this in mind.
2. Knit a pair of socks with with cables.
3. Knit a pair of socks with lace.
4. Knit a pair of socks from the toe up.
5. Dye my own sock yarn and produce a pair of socks from it.
6. Learn to knit using the magic loop technique. I'm not going as far as Bells did, and knit two socks at once using it, but I will at least give the technique a go.
My reward: I will buy a fabulous skein of yarn for socks for me (maybe from wollmeise, maybe from somewhere else) and a book of sock patterns.
So there you go - bring on the socky summer fun!