Tuesday 25 September 2007

Southern Summer of Socks - Personal Challange

I think a list of personal challenges for the Southern Summer of Socks is a great idea - I'm the sort of person who responds well to milestone setting, especially when I take a public oath and know (well, at least think) that everyone will be laughing at me if I don't make a worthwhile attempt.

So here's my list of Personal Challenges:

1. Finish a pair (matching) of socks. Seemingly insignificant, but since Ive never knit even one, this tops the list. The other challenges will also have more context if you keep this in mind.

2. Knit a pair of socks with with cables.

3. Knit a pair of socks with lace.

4. Knit a pair of socks from the toe up.

5. Dye my own sock yarn and produce a pair of socks from it.

6. Learn to knit using the magic loop technique. I'm not going as far as Bells did, and knit two socks at once using it, but I will at least give the technique a go.

My reward: I will buy a fabulous skein of yarn for socks for me (maybe from wollmeise, maybe from somewhere else) and a book of sock patterns.

So there you go - bring on the socky summer fun!

10 comments:

Bells said...

fabulous list George. Very good. Everyone seems to be doing manageable lists which makes mine seem more like a lifetime's wishlist, not a reasonable to do list for the next six months!

I like your list a lot. Will look forward to the dyeing part especially.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

That is quite a to do list. Good luck on the challenge, I look forward to seeing some amazing socks. I think that I should challenge myself to finish all the socks I currently have on the go. Now that will be something!

Rose Red said...

oooh, if you buy from Wollmeise so will I!!
Great list!

amy said...

I'm not sure if I'm more frightened by your list, or by the fact that Bells calls it "manageable." You Aussies are ambitious, I have to say! And here I am, an American slacker... :-)

DrK said...

sensible, doable list, not dissimilar to mine, oddly enough!

Em said...

That's quite the list you've got there already. I'm with Amy, you Aussie knitters are more than a little ambitious. I look forward to seeing your dyed yarn, and hearing about this magic loop technique thingy...

MadMad said...

If/when you do a lace sock pattern, might I suggest one with an easy, memorizable pattern repeat. Because nothing sucks the life out of a sock knitter more than having to keep a chart next to her the entire time, but not being able to read it because she seems to be going blind, so then having to pick it up to read it and put it down to knit, but then OH! You can't remember what it said, so you have to pick it up again, then put it down.... and really, who has this kind of time?

Anonymous said...

Nice list - I'm with Rose Red - let's do a group order with the Wollmeise.

Donna Lee said...

Wow, what a list. Aren't those knitpicks the best? They make sock knitting go easier, except the stitches can slip off so easily in the bag. I have spent many frustrating minutes using a crochet hook to pick up the slipped off stitches. I am a firm believer in point protectors.

Kate said...

I gotta wonder, are you going to get all these resolutions in on the one pair o socks or are you going to be knitting at least 4 pairs of socks to accomplish all the style resolutions?