Here it is unblocked, looking a little like a caterpillar. Gosh, but I was hoping blocking worked!
Then soaking in the sink. I didnt realise I had to soak for some time, and was amazed to come back after a few minutes and hear the air fizzing out of the yarn. So I left it about half an hour in the hand-warm water.
Then I laid out some towels and pinned it all out. It was a bit tricky to find the waves in the edges at first, then I got it sussed (apologies for our lurid beach towels!). Left it overnight to dry.
I am now sold on blocking. That curled up little caterpillar came out such a lovely butterfly! I can't decide which photo - from the front or back - is less flattering (winter and Germany were very unkind to me! That, and I'm a lazy git), so you get both.
And then, to ease the shock of those, here it is posed on the table in the afternoon sun (but the first image, above, is much truer to the colour).
Because I am making an effort to be more professional and organised about knitting, I've recorded all the pertinent information.
The details: Dayflower lace scarf, knitted in Cleckheaton Country 8ply, 100% wool, shade 2194. I used about 10g short of 2 balls, and did the suggested 20 reps of the pattern. Knitted on a 5 mm circ. No modifications.
Time taken: cast on July 27, cast off August 3. Very speedy given this was my first lace, first chart.
The verdict: I really like the easy repeats of this pattern, and how quickly it knits up. I wore it at work today and got compliments all over the place (might just send in the scarf tomorrow. Dont think they'd notice I wasn't underneath it). A definite keeper.
Lace - got it sorted. Bring it on!