Sunday 14 October 2007

The drought has broken

Looking back at my blog, I realsied my last FO was the Dayflower scarf way back in August. Yikes! Anyone would think I haven't even been knitting - although I'm sure Beloved would very quickly disabuse anyone of that misplaced notion.

So I am very pleased to finally report on the completion of Little Miss M's Birthday Jacket (aka acres of moss stich).


For once, the colour is pretty good!

Pattern: Zip-up Jacket from Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots by Zoe Mellor, in the 3-4 years size

Yarn: Bendigo Woollen Mills Classic 12 ply in Tuscan; 500g (the pattern stated 400g - a big thanks to the good folk at Bendy who sorted through the store until they found an extra ball in the correct dyelot!)

Sticks: 5mm straights

Modifications: I left off the two front pockets and a pocket on the upper sleeve. This was a deadline knit and I wasn't about to make things any harder than they needed to be.

Comments: this was a very easy knit, once I got over my initial dislike of moss stitch. There is not terribly much shaping, and it goes quite fast in the 12 ply.

Disclosure: the finishing was outsourced (thanks Mum!). Didnt she do a fab job? I would like it noted that I started, but found getting seams and stitches ot sit properly with the moss stitch wasn't easy. Being a gift, I didnt want it look like crap, so I let Mum work her magic.

Coming soon - 1 sock, O's vest (actually finished by me!) and some clappy progress.

14 comments:

Taphophile said...

It's a beautiful jacket - the moss stitch is so classy. Congrats. :)

amy said...

I love the look of moss stitch, and that's a beautiful color.

Kate said...

That jacket came out wonderfully. Maybe I'll find the pattern and knit one up for a friend of mine's kid. Good job on getting another UFO out of the way! Wish I was that good...I've got a massive pile of UFOs waiting to drop the U.

Em said...

Oh, the jacket is lovely! I'm sure the recipient and the recipient's mom will love it. Way to finish another project, too!I look forward to seeing the sock and the vest, and the updates for the clappy. I am stalled on three different projects. Or is it four?

Rose Red said...

The jacket is lovely - great colour!! And good job mum on the zip especially!

TinkingBell said...

How gorgeous - and I'm sure worth the acres of moss stitch (it's like childbirth - you forget how awful it was once it's over!)

Bells said...

it's as lovely in the photo as it is in person. I think you should be very proud!

DrK said...

its beautiful george! no one worries about the finishing anyway, we all know its the only downside of knitting and would all gladly outsource where possible! (i have tried dropping this kinds of hint to vera but so far she aint buyin'). hmmm. look forward to seeing more feral socks!

MadMad said...

So... can I borrow your mum? I have a sweater that has been waiting 4 years for me to screw up enough courage/will/energy/strength to tackle a zipper...

Michelle said...

Ooh that's nice!

Donna Lee said...

I could so handle being a knitting knerd! We can have our own club! Yay for outsiders!
The jacket is great by the way. You don't have to tell that you didn't finish it.

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

Forget about making a child's version, you made the jacket look so good, I want one for me.

I wonder what your mum will think once she gets all kinds of requests for finishing work. Now that we've seen how good she is......

Denise said...

What a fantastic little jacket! Well done! Is your mum interested in making a career of finishing, I bet she could ;)

Kate said...

And I was whinging about 74cms of 2x2 ribbing! Well done you and your mum - a beautiful little jacket : ) Your mum could offer her sewing services for other kntters and would make her fortune almost immediately ( and never have a life again...).