It's amazing what a deadline can do. Ta-da!
It's hardly a pattern, and certainly not original, but this is what I did:
Cast on 12 sts. Work 3 rows garter stitch.
Row 4: Knit 1, *yo, K1*
Row 5: Knit, slipping all yo loops off without working
Row 6: Knit.
Repeat rows 4 to 6 until scarf is deisred length, knit 3 rows and cast off loosely.
I tried a 2 yo pattern but it was too open; I'm much happier with this. If I had of been concentrating I would have done 2 straight knit rows between the yo and slip off rows, to give it a bit more body. But when I tried it on (felt kinda guilty, since its a commission, but I needed to check it was actually wearable!) it was quite bulky enough.
Now if only the deadline thing worked for my outstanding essays.....
p.s. I'd like you all note I'm lifting my game with respect to my photography. Other bloggers do such a fantastic job of photographing everything from FOs and stash yarn to biscuits and earplugs that I felt the lounge room floorboards just didnt rate any more!