Wednesday 31 October 2007

No Guilt Stash

I hereby adopt the No Guilt Stash manifesto as developed by Bells and Amy.



No Guilt Stash Manifesto

I will neither defend nor apologize for my stash. My yarn brings me joy, and therefore brings others in my life joy.

Through my hands I do good in the world. I knit with love for friends, family, and strangers. Yarn is my medium.

I promise not to let my stash acquisition interfere with personal relationships or financial health; yet neither will I give in to pressure from significant others to reduce my stash.

I will not judge others' stash. I can admire it, be inspired by it, even covet certain skeins, but it is not my place to pass judgment on quantity or quality.

I recognize that stash management is personal. I fully intend to knit my beautiful yarns, but I refuse to be guilted into doing so on anyone's schedule other than my own.

I understand that it may take many years for a yarn to reveal its destiny, and that yarns that have been in my stash for a seemingly long time just haven't met their correct pattern. I won't feel guilty about this.

I also recognize that yarn can have many destinies. It can be a reminder of a special trip, a friend, a time in one's life. It can be comfort or inspiration. It doesn't always need to be knitted to fulfill its destiny. I accept that some yarns in my possession may never be knit by me.

I believe in the karmic properties of stash. I willingly share with other knitters, and I realize the stash, like love, will grow when it is shared.

**********************************

Thanks Amy and Bells!

5 comments:

DrK said...

i personally have been deeply inspired by your stash george. it was neither as vast nor indulgent as i had been led to believe, and if you squashed it all together in one drawer it wouldnt be nearly so tall. and it was so organised!! it gives me hope that i too one day can have an awe-inspiring stash. :)

amy said...

*grin*

I'm off to play with my stash now. Boy 1 is asleep and Boy 2 (the sick one) is actually not on me at the moment...

Denise said...

Embrace your stash, accept it for what it is, and be at peace (ommmmmmmm) - LOL ;)

I LIKE the Manifesto, it's a Good Thing TM!

Bells said...

Oh welcome aboard Georgie!

Five Ferns Fibreholic said...

My problem is that I have more than one medium. My guilt comes from ignoring one stash over another depending on my mood.