Sunday 22 July 2007

Turning a corner

I have wanted to knit socks for ages, but have had not enough time a thing a mental block OK a gut-wrenching terror about the whole process. Its a combination of kntting in the round on tiny needles with fine yarn in lots of rib, and then theres the heel and the toe. In case youve not looked closely lately, the heel requires knitting around a corner. Georgie runs screaming into the night.

I am in awe of those who knock them out like garter stitch scarves (like my MIL, for one - there's always a pair in my xmas parcel, bless her) and think of heels and toes like a Saturday night bushdancer. Yeehah! You will note I've had a progress bar measuring the work on "My first Spider sock" since this blog's inception, and that it reads exactly ZERO.

So today I bit the bullet, and in the guise of supporting and SnB friend, slunk along to Happy Spider's sock workshop at Craft ACT as part of the Knit1Blog1 exhibition.


Spidey is now officially a legend, cos she taught me to do this:




Behold, a turned heel! Minus the sock part, but we can work on that. In Spidey's gorgeous hand dyed yarn (I hang my head in shame cos I can't find the tag to tell you the colourway! ). I may be almost ready to cast on my first sock. Do you think I can do it in 12-ply?? Just kidding Spidey! If the Knitting Barrister can do it after knitting for exactly 25 seconds, then I can suck it up and give it a go. Watch this space.


In other knitting news, the Vintage Hues ONe-Row Scarf is two balls long, but I think it will need another ball. Its such a fraught decision - too short and I cant loop it, too long and Ive got all this scarf hanging out the bottom of my jacket. What to do?


Looks like another ball. I'm off to get onto that - still a bit feverish with startitis, so this is at least some progress.

G x

7 comments:

Taphophile said...

That is one very beautiful heel - congratulations. :)

happyspider said...

I'm so proud i could burst! And that's Dark Romance by the way ;)

Bells said...

hooray! I loved being able to witness you turning your first heel George.

And that scarf looks marvellous.

So, what colour will your first socks be?

Denise said...

Hurrah, a heel!! There'll be no stopping you now :D

Was great to see you today - thanks for listening to all my diabetes 'destressing' crap too.

And your Vintage Hues scarf is just divine, those colours are amazing!

Tanya said...

Yay! That's a lovely heel. Way better than mine, incidentally! And your scarf is just gorgeous - great colours!

Neet said...

Hooray!! Wasn't it fun?? Look forward to comparing socks! :)

And if you're interested in that science podcast it's at http://www.twis.org/ Definitely worth a listen!

Bron said...

hey wow nice one!!!!!
Just quietly I'm a little terrified of socks myself =S